Saturday, July 5, 2008

What if ......... ?

Though the technique of glazing over a complementary-color underpainting is quite different from throwing, splattering and dripping watercolor onto paper, I discovered yesterday that the labor intensive glazing technique triggers the same thrill of experiencing the unexpected as my watercolor technique. As I gazed at the variety of the underpaintings of the past two days another significant similarity struck me. Both techniques lead to my asking “What if ....... ?”

What if I intensify the values of the underpainting?
What if I use analogous colors in the underpainting?
What if I handle the brush more freely?
What if I draw with strong-valued lines of paint?
What if I use more turpentine, causing the paint to drip in the underpainting?
What if I use that horrid color, cadmium red medium, in the underpainting?
Can I make the color sing by glazing vivid colors over a neutralized underpainting?
What if I do the underpainting in two or three sessions of glazes?

Yesterday I began by digging out my least favorite color, cadmium red medium. As beautiful as cadmium red light is both by itself and mixed with almost anything else, cadmium red medium is dreadfully dull by itself and manages to absorb the life out of any other color it is mixed with. Earlier in the day, while sipping a delicious cup of Dine’s coffee, I mentioned to my dear friend that I would experiment with cad. red medium in the fall after the exhibit at Monsoon is hung. She asked why I didn’t get rid of the paint rather than spoil good canvas and expensive paint trying to make it into something it isn’t. Perhaps the answer is that I’m stubborn and can’t help but believe there is at least one way to use the color successfully. As soon as I climbed the stairs to my studio I knew that there was no reason to put of until October something that I could do immediately.

I squeezed out cadmium red medium, alizarin crimson, cadmium yellow medium, cobalt turquoise, pthalo turquoise and french ultramarine blue. After completing one large and one small underpainting I was left with sizable piles of blue paints on my palette. I ended yesterday’s painting session with extreme dark blue of the trees contrasted against a pale sky and ribbons of road.

My animosity toward cadmium red medium diminished significantly. I decided to use only cadmium red medium and viridian in today’s underpaintings. After the first two, I added pthalo turqoise.

There are two tried and true ways to activate color. One is by placing complementary colors next to one another. The second is to place vibrant color against a neutralized color, one that amplifies rather than competes with the color that is meant to sing. Even a less-than-vibrant-color can appear quite lovely against a neutral. I look forward to breathing energy and life into all of these experimental underpaintings.

No comments: