Monday, May 19, 2008

Raising Funds for the Arts - Roxey Ballet - Zakar Art

On May 10, 2008 a fabulous evening of live Jazz, delicious food and Zakar Art was hosted to raise funds for the Roxey Ballet. Four years have passed since I began creating Zakar Art, capturing the moment of movement to live music.

The intent of Zakar Art is to awaken the public awareness of creativity and the interaction between music, movement and the expression of that energy through the visual arts. I envisioned fund-raising events as an excellent venue for Zakar Art. Some visions take time to manifest. The May 10th event marks the third successful Zakar event of 2008. I will continue to raise funds for the ballet company by painting during the summer workshop sessions and during the dress rehearsal for the Nutcracker in November.

On May 22, 2008 I will paint during the annual New Jersey Arts Collaborative Performance at George Street Playhouse in New Brunswick, NJ to raise funds for the Butterfly Project. The paintings will be posted on Etsy.com and 50% of the sales will be contributed to benefit Cancer Research.

For many years I have struggled with the question of how I contribute to society and to the universe. The joy of painting and drawing, living the life of an artist, can feel rather indulgent at times in spite of the constant struggle to make ends meet and to purchase supplies in order to continue painting. Zakar Art not only keeps my eye fresh, my body loose and my spirit nourished, it now enables me to contribute to the survival and continuation of the arts.

No comments: