Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Paying for Representation

How valid is a list of galleries that represent an artist's work when the artist pays for the representation? How hard does the gallery work to represent that artist and to sell the artist's work if the gallery has already made a profit from the artist paying them to be a part of an exhibition or a special event?

Every week I receive at least one invitation from a gallery in New York or London or somewhere else in this ever-shrinking world. A lovely message telling me that they discovered my web site and feel that my work would fit well in their gallery or their upcoming show. For a small fee (anywhere from $600 - $3000) they would be happy to include my work in their show and "possibly" represent my work in the future.

After a letting out my fury I respond as kindly as I can letting them know that I don't pay for my representation. If they are interested in my work without the required fee, I will be happy to discuss possibilities with them. If the gallery feels that they can sell my work, they will make their money off of the sales, not off of my investing in them.

Urrrrggghhhhhhh!

No comments: